September Pyongyang Joint Declaration
Chairman Kim Jong Un of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea and President Moon Jae In of the Republic of Korea held north-south summit talks in Pyongyang from September 18 to 20, 2018.
The top leaders appreciated that after the historic Panmunjom Declaration, wonderful achievements were witnessed such as close dialogue and negotiations between the authorities of the north and the south, multilateral NGO exchanges and cooperation and important measures for the detente of military tension.
They reconfirmed the principles of national independence and national self-determination and agreed to develop the inter-Korean ties in a consistent and sustained way for national reconciliation, cooperation and solid peace and common prosperity, and agreed to strive to provide policy guarantee for the realization of the aspirations of all the fellow countrymen to lead the present improved north-south ties to reunification.
They had a frank and in-depth discussion of all issues and practical measures for advancing the north-south ties onto a new high stage by thoroughly implementing the Panmunjom Declaration, and shared the understanding that the Pyongyang summit would mark an important historic turning point, before declaring as follows:
1. The north and the south decided to lead the termination of military hostility in the areas of confrontation including the Demilitarized Zone to the substantial removal of the danger of war and fundamental eradication of hostility in the whole of the Korean peninsula.
First, the north and the south agreed to adopt the "military agreement to implement the Panmunjom Declaration" concluded in the period of the Pyongyang summit talks as an annexe to the Pyongyang Joint Declaration, strictly adhere to and sincerely implement it and take practical measures proactively to make the Korean peninsula a lasting peace zone.
Second, the north and the south agreed to put the north-south joint military committee in operation as early as possible, examine the implementation of the military agreement and have constant contact and discussion for the prevention of accidental armed clashes.
2. The north and the south decided to take practical measures to further boost exchanges and cooperation and to develop the nation's economy in a balanced way on the principle of mutual benefits and common interests and prosperity.
First, the north and the south agreed to hold groundbreaking ceremonies for reconnecting severed railways and roads on the east and west coasts and modernizing them within this year.
Second, the north and the south agreed to put the operation of the Kaesong Industrial Park and Mt Kumgang tourism on normal track first as conditions get ripe and hold consultations over the establishment of the West Sea joint special economic zone and the East Sea joint special tourism zone.
Third, the north and the south agreed to actively promote the north-south environmental cooperation for the protection and restoration of the natural ecosystem and to work primarily to achieve practical success in the cooperation project in the forestry field now underway.
Fourth, the north and the south agreed to bolster up cooperation in the anti-epidemic and public health fields including emergency measures for the prevention of inflow and spread of infectious diseases.
3. The north and the south decided to further promote humanitarian cooperation for the fundamental settlement of the issue of separated families and relatives.
First, the north and the south agreed to open the reunion building for separated families and relatives in the Mt Kumgang area as early as possible and to restore its facilities at an early date to this end.
Second, the north and the south agreed to discuss and settle the issue of online meeting and exchange of video messages between separated families and relatives on a priority basis through Red Cross talks.
4. The north and the south decided to actively promote cooperation and exchanges in various fields so as to stoke the atmosphere of reconciliation and unity and demonstrate at home and abroad the stamina of the Korean nation.
First, the north and the south agreed to further boost exchanges in the fields of culture and arts and to ensure the Pyongyang art troupe's performance in Seoul within October above all.
Second, the north and the south agreed to make active joint advance to international games including the 2020 Summer Olympic Games and to cooperate to win a joint bid to host the 2032 Summer Olympics.
Third, the north and the south agreed to hold significant events to meaningfully commemorate the 11th anniversary of the October 4 Declaration, to jointly commemorate the centenary of the March First Popular Uprising and to discuss technical plans for them.
5. The north and the south shared the view that the Korean peninsula should be turned into a peace zone free from nuclear weapons and nuclear threat and necessary practical progress should be made as early as possible to this end.
First, the north side decided to permanently shut down the Tongchang-ri engine test ground and rocket launch pad with the participation of experts from related countries above all.
Second, the north side expressed its willingness to continue to take additional steps such as the permanent shutdown of the Nyongbyon nuclear facility if the United States takes corresponding steps in line with the spirit of the June 12 DPRK-US joint statement.
Third, the north and the south agreed to closely cooperate in the course of pushing ahead with the complete denuclearization of the Korean peninsula.
6. Chairman of the State Affairs Commission Kim Jong Un agreed to visit Seoul in the near future at the invitation of President Moon Jae In.
Chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the DPRK
Kim Jong Un
President of the Republic of Korea
Moon Jae In
September 19, 2018