DPRK's History of Self-reliance (13)
Pyongyang, June 9 (KCNA) -- When the Fatherland Liberation War came to an end in July Juche 42 (1953), Pyongyang, the capital city of the DPRK, was turned into ruins. During the three-year war, the aggressors dropped in the city more than 428 000 bombs, equivalent to its population.
Anyhow, the Korean people rose up as one in the work to reconstruct the capital city.
In late July 1953, President
Under the decision, the reconstruction of Pyongyang was conducted on a full scale from the spring of 1954.
All Pyongyangites and students and servicepersons turned out in the struggle to complete the construction projects before the 9th anniversary of the national liberation (August 15, 1945), under the slogans "Let us reconstruct with our sweat the heroic city of Pyongyang defended at the cost of blood!" and "Let us build our capital city more beautifully and rapidly!". A large number of builders over-fulfilled their daily tasks twice or thrice and even five times in the reconstruction of Pyongyang.
Thanks to their patriotic zeal and devoted efforts, the construction projects were completed in 70 days. In the period, a main road stretching from Pyongyang Railway Station to Moran Hill was built and a square was formed in the center of the city, on both sides of which united office buildings showed their shapes and buildings of several national institutions were commissioned. Meanwhile,
On August 12, 1954, the President cut the red ribbon at the opening ceremony of the central square formed in the heart of Pyongyang City and appreciated the builders' feats.
The DPRK people are calling this square